Saturday, March 10, 2007

Monday we had our first Skype exchange, it was such an exciting thing!
Before starting to speak with American colleagues we tried to talk to each other in class, and it was really funny, as we know each other and we also joked a lit bit. But, when the Americans called me up, I was totally embarrassed and I think also Timothy and Bari were. At the very beginning we spoke about lives, our hobbies and ourselves. (It was so strange for me speaking with someone I have never met before!) Sometimes I didn’t know what talk about, and there were some pauses. I had to think in a short what to say in English trying to reduce the mistakes! This is a really good exercise to improve your ability in speaking.
Then, as the Americans were less than we were, we start doing conference, and I have to admit that I was more confident because I had on my side Francesca and Annalisa that could help me when I didn’t manage to express properly. But there was also a con, when we were in the conference, it was more difficult to understand when someone wanted to speak, and I didn’t want to seem interfering.
To be honest we talked just a little about recycling, only Annalisa and Bari could tell us about their experiences and the problems in their countries. However, the important thing was to have a clearer idea of what is going on in New Orleans, and we discovered how Hurricane Katrina destroyed evrything in the city.Hearing from someone who was present during the disaster, it's really different from reading about it in a newspaper or watching it on Tv.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Dear Lucrezia,

I'm shy by nature too so I'm impressed that you found the courage to do the exchange. The pauses can be uncomfortable, but that's why we should try and have topics/questions ready to fill those gaps!

I'm glad you found the experience positive and learned more than you might have on TV!

Sarah

2:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home